As you read this, GREY2K USA President Christine Dorchak and Executive Director Carey Theil are in London working to help greyhounds. They have just presented the first major report on the cruelty to dog racing to Parliament!
We are working with CEO Joe Duckworth and actress Annette Crosbie of the League Against Cruel Sports in taking this first big step to expose the suffering of greyhounds in Great Britain.
Read a news story about our joint report here and watch a short video shown in the House of Commons today.
Did you know that there are thirty-three dog tracks operating in Great Britain? Our report sets out the key humane problems facing greyhounds at these tracks and demands immediate action by Members of Parliament.
According to extensive research performed by GREY2K USA Worldwide:
- The British greyhound industry generates 8,000 greyhounds in need of homes each year. One thousand of these dogs vanish and cannot be accounted for.
- Greyhounds race every five days, running as many as three races per meet.
- Frequent racing on poorly maintained tracks leads to an increase in injuries and deaths.The National Greyhound Racing Club estimated that two dogs are injured per race meeting. Reported injuries include broken legs, crushed skulls and broken necks -- suffered by dogs just 2-3 years old.
- According to the Greyhound Board of Great Britain, greyhounds test positive for serious drugs including cocaine, steroids, amphetamines and barbituates. Testosterone is regularly used to block the natural cycles of female dogs.
- When not racing, greyhounds spend 95% of their time in confinement and the British Veterinary Society has stated that conditions at kennels do not comply with the UK’s Animal Welfare Act.
- 662 greyhounds have been sold or donated to universities for anatomy classes and dissection since 2006. Dogs are available for as little as £30.
Read our full report here
Thankfully, dog racing in the United Kingdom is undergoing a steep decline. Over the last several years, 11 UK tracks have closed and industry revenue has been reduced by 43% just since 2008!
Now is the time to push for the ultimate change. We are demanding immediate protections for the greyhounds and the phase-out of dog racing all across Great Britain. This cruelty has no place in modern society.
Join us in this fight and make a donation today to help end dog racing in the United Kingdom and worldwide. Together, we can save the greyhounds!
For the greyhounds,
|© GREY2K USA. All rights reserved.
GREY2K USA Worldwide is a non-profit 501(c)4 advocacy organization located at 7 Central Street, Arlington, Massachusetts 02476. 100% of donations support our mission to end dog racing. We are grateful for personal and corporate contributions. Because GREY2K USA lobbies for greyhound legislation, contributions are not tax deductible.
Privacy Notice: It is against our policy to share, rent, sell or make our supporters' or volunteers' names or other information available to third parties. Unless disclosure is required by law, we can assure you that your personal information will be kept confidentially by this organization.
For more information, please contact 781-488-3526 or visit www.GREY2KUSA.org.